Those who are familiar with Zaturnnah’s Dodong — via the comic book, the musical, or the movie — will understand the title and what exactly this post is about. In those days I was away from this blog, one striking conversation I had was with this friend of mine, let’s call him Gary. In that conversation I thought Gary is the friend who I can say is an Ada/Zaturnnah in the flesh,… an Ada/Zaturnnah looking for a Dodong,… a real Dodong in the flesh.
Gary is a Zaturnnah-like superhero in so many ways. He is:
(1) the family’s breadwinner;
(2) the magic glue of his family. His parents have separated, and he stands as the unifying factor that keeps the broken pieces still somehow together. I can only imagine the stress his family setup puts on this dear friend of mine.
(3) a super worker; Gary’s job requires so much of his time and effort. He is most passionate in his work, he enjoys it thoroughly so no wonder his work is most passionate in him too — thus he normally spend long hours in his job.
… to add to this, Gary is a gay guy who hasn’t had a real relationship the past 6 years. As I was talking to him, while he was relating the various struggles in his life with so much candor yet so much cheerfulness too, I felt he is really a superhero — so strong, smiling, laughing outside yet… somehow needy of someone who will be the one to take care of him. During that conversation, a sudden rush of feelings overwhelmed me, a big wish for my friend: may he find his Dodong. For this year, I wish for a Dodong for Gary, who will sing this following song for him.
Ikaw Ang Superhero Ng Buhay Ko, Ikaw
Ano ba ang sukatan ng pagkalalaki
Sa lalim ba ng boses o sa tibay ng tindig?
Nasusukat ba ito sa dami ng pinangakuan ng pag-ibig?
Sa lahat nang nakilala sa â€˜yo lamang humanga
Sa tapang at lambot ng iyong puso
Ang kaligtasan ng lahat ay tinanganan mo sa palad mo
Ikaw ang superhero ng buhay ko, ikawâ€¦
Hindi ka man lumilipad, napakalayo ng iyong narating
Nais kong sumama saan ka man magpunta
Hawakan mo ako
Pinakita mo sa aking mayroon pang hihigit
Sa katahimikang nakasanayan ko
Tulad moâ€™y nagsimula akong managinip
Ang bugnot kong mundo binuhay mo
Ikaw ang superhero ng buhay kong, ikawâ€¦
Pagod ka man ngayon, ako naman ang papasan sa iyo
Halika na sa piling ko, kitaâ€™y iuuwi
Dito sa bisig ko
Ikaw ang superhero ng buhay ko
(Acknowledgement due to Vince de Jesus for the song above. Zaturnnah ze Muzical is going to have its fourth rerun on Jan. 19-28, 2007 at CCP’s Tanghalang Huseng Batute. Call 8323661 for tickets. I’m watching it on the 19th!!! See you there!)
Now, for some interaction, you strong and superhero-like gays out there, do you already have your Dodong? How did you find him? Or, if not yet, how do you intend to find him?
Possibly Related Entries:
- Next Podcast: which Dodong?
- Janvier Daily, my Dodong
- Dodong, istatyu?
- More Arnold Reyes Pictures
- Dodongs in Bed
- Zsazsa Zaturnnah ze Muzical 2007
- Coffee chat with Janvier Daily
- Migs interviews Janvier Daily