These days of instant noodles, instant coffee, and instant gratification, long-term relationships are hard to find. Especially in the gay scene, I would say you’re lucky if you get past 12 months. So many men, too little time… LOL! But seriously, just like any hetero relationship, a gay relationship needs to be tended and taken care of for it to stay fresh and alive. It’s like gardening. Patience, common sense, and some of the following tips could spell you a life-long, and fulfilling relationship with your partner. Read on!
1. Avoid placing all your emotional needs on your partner. Develop your own individual identity and through those experiences, your relationship will be enriched as you keep breathing new life into it.
2. Even if youâ€™ve been together a long time, never expect your partner to know what your needs are. Mind-reading and making assumptions only leads to misunderstandings and potential conflicts. Learn to be assertive and ask directly for what you want.
3. Characteristic of relationship development, most couples have a diminishment of that honeymoon phase â€œhighâ€ thatâ€™s experienced in the beginning of a relationship when they first started dating. This is normal and not a reason to be concerned that there is something necessarily wrong.
When this occurs, strive to bring more creativity and vitality into your relationship and sex life to spice things up. Surprise your partner. Be spontaneous and playful. Make him see how special and important he is to you.
4. Examine your satisfaction with the roles you play in your relationship. A real advantage of gay relationships is the ability to be flexible with life roles and not to have to ascribe to traditional sex role stereotypes commonly held in heterosexual relationships. Negotiate such roles and tasks openly and freely with your partner, acknowledging areas of strength and talent in this decision-making.
5. Avoid letting disagreements turn into ugly verbal battles where things could be said that are later regretted. Learn basic anger management principles and know when to call a â€œTime-Outâ€ to defuse unproductive anger. Also learn how to re-engage following the cool-down period so issues can be resolved peacefully.
6. Don’t let the busyness of life take away from your relationship. Find a balance between work, alone time, friends, family, and time spent as a couple. Make â€œDate Nightâ€ a regular part of your lifestyle where you avoid discussing your problems or issues and just enjoy spending that quality time together. Never take each other for granted and remember that youâ€™re a team.
(Tips by Brian Rzepczynski from Gaywebmonkey.com)
Possibly Related Entries:
- OFWs this is for you!
- Pinoys on the “Down Low”
- Dental Beauty Tips from Tita Tessa
- On Long Distance Relationships 2
- Afraid of Being Old and Lonely
- Is there a Happy Ever After for us?
- Only Fools Rush In
- On Long Distance Relationships